Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Refreshing Blizzard

Oh my.

Nothing posted on my little plum page in over a month.

My family journaling habit is falling to pieces.

Although, almost daily I have the "hey, I should write this down!" moment.  And then I don't.

Shame on me.

Tonight I had one of those moments. Actually, last weekend I had an even BIGGER one of those moments.

They will each be getting a turn.

Right now, moment #1.

It is storming outside. More than storming, but blizzarding. Badly. About an hour ago it didn't look too, too bad, so I ventured out in it.

Yes Mom, I ventured out.

As I backed out of our garage the wind grabbed my attention first. The high winds mixed with swirling snow was stunning. Like nothing I had ever seen. The roads were wet, but had no snow sticking to them.  Should be okay, right?

The drive through the steep gulley to the grocery store was a little bit shady as the blowing snow diminished my visibility by the second. Still, the roads were fine.  As I crested the gulley the ball game changed IN. AN. INSTANT.  All visibility disappeared.  The wet roads instantly turned into roads with 4-5 inches of slippery snow, and the wind hit like a battering ram.

A chill went through me. I gripped the steering wheel tighter.

The place I was in offered no turn around. My only option was to continue deeper into the center.

I was alone. All the electricity was out outside. No street lights, no home lights, and no grocery store lights to lead me. Panic set in. Snow blindness wrapped its arms around me.

Crawling along I missed the turn to the store. Missed it completely. Never even saw it. Before I knew it  I was at an intersection onto a main road. Even worse. There was no road, only a powerless stop light swinging in the wind that told me I was on the road.

I inched feet ahead at a time.  The road was gone.  Everything was gone.

Panic?

Shaky hands?

Shallow breathing?

Oh. Yeah.

Desperate options flew through my head. Should I call Dave? Call Papa (Dave's dad)? Both rescue options would be dead ends. I was in a place that was unreachable.

Before I knew it, my mind had settled on my only potential rescuer, and was pleading for help.

Prayer was to hold my hand and get me home.

My desperate pleas swirled as thick as the snow that encircled me.

I made it home on the shoulders of  prayer.

No harm had been done.

A testimony of prayer reminded, refreshed, and now, shared.

"There are thoughts which are prayers.  There are moments when, whatever the posture of the body, the soul is on its knees."  -Victor Hugo