Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Nov. 14- LONDON

This was it.   My last day here (until?) for awhile anyways.

I had not gone to bed until 2 in the morning yesterday, so I was worried I would oversleep. Yes, 2 A.M. That is what happens when you are not here to put me to bed Dave!

Then, about 7:30 my body remembered that I do not know how to sleep in, so I was up.

By the time I was cleaned up, C & C were already awake and frying eggs. I joined them and we talked about the plan for the day. It was either the British Museum for the Rosetta Stone (which I have successfully missed on every trip), or  Highgate Cemetery.

Highgate Cemetery won. C &  C even choose to come with me! Highgate (West side) is known for it's overgrown creepiness, catacombs, family vaults, and amazing tributes. Google pics are pretty accurate of it. I learned a lot about the Victorian symbolism that is displayed, and, as an added bonus, I choose a plot to be buried in. Maybe for next year's b-day present?

We finished the tour and wandered to the East side. Chris left us, so it was just Cecelia and me. The most notable person buried here is Karl Marx. We located him quite easily by the crowd of North Koreans that were gathered around his shrine. We watched respectfully as they each ran up and took group pics, individual pics, partner pics, and more individual pics. Then they pulled out flower bouquets and went through the process again.

Ahh, confusion! I was under the assumption his theories/ideas were not well liked.

Next came the bowing routine to the shrine. At this point C was holding her chuckles in. A young German/British couple joined us and they too were holding their laughs.

Once finished Cecelia and I jumped at the chance to get our picture taken with the shrine before the Koreans returned! We finished and walked away 15 feet where I stopped her. We, or rather, I, had to go back and bow. Don't know why, I just did.  Cecelia was so embarrassed, but did it with me anyways. When in Rome, right?

We found a bakery for a treat and headed home. C & C cooked dinner while chatting with me and another lady on the street who was visiting (Barbara). Once Barbara had left we watched the BBC news and an interview with Susan Boyle. They were both crazy about her. Cecelia even cried. I am not sure what happened next, but I woke up with my mouth wide open.

Perhaps my 2 A.M. bedtime was catching up with me?

Dinner was dreamy. We ate pot roast, mashed potatoes, and a medley of veggies that I am unsure of. They have certainly spoiled me this past week, and I will miss them terribly tomorrow at this time.

Random side note that I just remembered: At dinner we talked about what talent we would share if we were on Britain's Got Talent tomorrow. Cecelia would be a comic, Chris a back-up dancer (yes, HE said that), and I said I play a wicked kazoo. Cecelia disagreed with me and said, "you will write a book." Cecelia does not know that I like to write. Or, that I have heard that before. Random, and, never say never?

Side note over.

After dinner we pushed Chris out of the kitchen and stuck candles into a cake we bought earlier. He seemed pleased as punch when we sang to him and quizzed him about his birthdays in the past.

It is now nearly 1:00 in the morning and I have to get up in 5 hours to make it to Heathrow on time.



I am missing this adventure already.