Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wednesday November 10-LONDON

This morning started out with bread. Two extra extra thick pieces with butter. An inch thick per slice possibly.

By 9:30 I was out the door.

First stop, Westminster Abbey. This Abbey had not been high on my list to re-visit, but I knew that I had to go (nothing beats St. Paul's). The outside is beautiful, but not awe inspiring in my opinion. In my memory from 10 years ago it was amazing, but after St. Paul's, does anything ever compare? The last 38 monarchs have been coronated here, not to mention all the weddings, funerals, and burials that have occurred.
Guess who was not impressed again?

The inner was gorgeous and had all the things that I love. The shrines, the ornate architecture, and the history.



One important piece was missing in abundance though. The spirit. I could not even force it.

Listening to the hourly prayer, a short sermon, and lighting a prayer candle didn't bring it either. Instead I was filled with the desire to tell everyone that there was more! SO MUCH MORE!

I will give it good points for having lots of kings and queens buried there, not to mention other notables like Handel.

Upon leaving the building I discovered that quite a ruckus was going on in the streets. Thousands of teenagers with picket signs were marching. So, like any tourist, I walked with them. Although I did refrain from screaming and yelling like they were.

Facetiming Dave sounded like a great idea so he could the craziness of the riot. Unfortunately, I had miscalculated my timing, so I woke him up at 6:00 with a phone call full of screaming people.  Pretty sure he did not go back to sleep after that.

Next I took a long walk along the river and soaked in the chill as it nibbled my cheeks.

Once Trafalgar Square was in my sight I wanted to run to it. The National Portrait Gallery is located there and it was one of my main goals this trip. I could stay there for days/weeks/years (?) and be happy.
I revisited some of my favorites and took some time to discover some new ones. Van Eyck is still dreamy, but I also discovered Degas, and Liotard.

After the museum it was time to head home. I walked a bit, trying to make one last stop at Covent Garden before hopping on the Tube. It didn't take me too long to realize that they must have moved it (they move big buildings like that, right?)  Because I certainly couldn't find it.

So I gave up and got on the Tube.

All in all, a fabulous day!