Sunday, March 14, 2010

Gifts

Gifts are on my mind.

This weekend I was given gifts. Many, many gifts. None were deserved, but, nonetheless were given.

On Friday I was let off my Mommy leash and ushered, pushed(?), shoved(?), to the Pioneer Museum in Salt Lake by Dave. By myself I strolled. Just me, my thoughts, and a pocket full of honey taffy wandered for 4 hours. I have wanted this gift for years.

That museum has built itself a home in my heart. Every time I visit Salt Lake it seems to call to me from its perch on the hill. The pictures it contains of people from the past, the ones who dreamed not of their future, but mine, speak to me.

Taking the time to give each display and picture the time it deserved, and I wanted, filled my soul. Gratitude is a humbling thing.

And, I bought a pioneer bonnet. It will make its smashing debut on Pioneer Day.

Early Saturday morning Dave drove me, our freezing cold kids, and his Dad to Provo to be my cheering squad while I raced. He also brought along his lungs and cow-bells to make sure I was adequately blushing at each point I saw them along the trail. My cheeks, and his lungs, did not disappoint.

Not once was it brought up that while I was occupied Friday & Saturday, that Dave had to pick up doing all my 'Mommy' responsibilities. He accepted them, and took care of everyone and everything happily. He deserved the cow-bells for standing in the cold for an hour with 4 tired, cold, and hungry kids.

This weekend was a tremendous gift.

My heart is full. Thanks Dave.