Monday, May 17, 2010

"I felt like running . . ."- Forrest Gump


This past weekend held so many things. Life especially.

On Saturday I did the run I had trained so hard for all winter, until, my knee begged me for a rest. After nearly a two month sabbatical from running, the Ogden 1/2 Marathon (that I had so eagerly signed up for)was considered a joke around here.

Dave was iffy about me doing it. I was a bit iffy too.

Except, I knew that inside I had hidden away a sliver of hope. Forrest Gump was stomping around in my soul. My knee is now better (thanks to some miracle IT band stretches) and running is again an option.

My ride arrived on Friday night and we laughed all the way to Ogden about me being the last one to finish, or, walking the entire course.

After picking up our race-bibs and gorging some Cafe Rio, we drug ourselves to bed at 11:00. At 4:40 A.M. we were up again.

We arrived at the start line at 6:40. It was thronged with runners of all types. Flags with how fast you would run were spaced along the street. Myself and Tayna (who I came up with) moved ourselves to the back of the pack, not wanting to be trampled.

The race started and we looked at each other. With a slap on the back, and a good luck wished, it was now every man for himself.

Slow and steady was my goal. Walk when I got tired.

13.1 miles later, with only 3 short Gatorade walking breaks through stations, I could see the finish line.

My knees were begging for mercy.

The last few blocks I was moving like a slug going uphill. It. Was. Hard.

People began to line the street, people were cheering, music was playing, an announcer was throwing out people's times and names.

No other runners were around me. It was me against me to make the final few blocks on display.

In the past couple of hours I had had time to let my mind play over a thousand topics. The only thing left for me to think about during the long, lonely, final stretch was my desperation to see Dave and the kids. I needed to see them.

My eyes searched from one side to the other. Finally, I heard the whistle. Dave's whistle.

My sluggy legs carried my slow paced run towards them, and with a breath of fresh hope I sprinted to the finish.

No one was more shocked than me.

I did it.

2:24:59