Sunday, October 3, 2010

Start-up anyone?



Last week my life changed.

Or rather, it had a huge push.

Dave, again, a surprise (!), signed me up for a 2-day Startup Princess conference in Sandy.

My first inclination was excitement mixed with some oh-bother-ness.

Excitement because,  what an awesome opportunity to be surrounded with female entrepreneurs!  And, oh-bother-ness, because, what is my job again?

When the time came for me to put on my fancy-pants shoes and head out the door I was ready.  My lines were written and rehearsed in my head.  When the inevitable 'meet and mingle' time came, my intro would include something about "being there to be inspired."  Respectable, right?  (And somewhat true?).

As with the last Startup Princess event I attended, I was the first one there.  Is it not cool to show up on time?  I grabbed a great seat and put on my name tag.  I recognized a few people, mainly a realtor, a fashion consultant, and the Princess crew. The seats eventually filled up and I met a few new faces.

This first evening meeting was to teach us about media presentation. In particular, how to present ourselves for media.

Rule #1-ALWAYS be ready for media.
Rule #2-GET good make-up
Rule #3-DON'T go to the store looking like a slob.  EVER.
Rule #4-DRESS the part.  (Colors/outfits for TV).

A make-up artist and a clothing consultant each did presentations.  What I learned:  I have a lot to work on, and that I need to do a lot more/better shopping.

After the media training, another presenter, whom I had never heard of, was going to teach us how to present ourselves  face-to-face.  Danielle Laporte.  Never heard of her? I hadn't either. She runs a website named Whitehottruth.com.  Apparently it is a BIG deal.   After her presentation I could only find one word to sum her up. WOW.  Her entire persona filled the room.  If I can claim to be one of her followers, then by all means, I am a FOLLOWER!

The evening ended with Mindy Gledhill talking about her inspiration and performing. While she set up everyone chatted and got drinks.  Being the admirer of her that I am , I asked if she needed to help (back-up singer maybe?).  I was assigned to taking care of her table selling cds and collecting cash.

Was I a little proud of my itty-bitty job?  You betcha!

By the end of the 2-days I was filled with the excitement of possibilities.  And, for all the time invested, I know that anything is possible.

Here is a link to Danielle Laporte's presentation on Day #2.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9788489

P.S.  if you look closely at about 21:21, the back of my head make its first live debut in the second row.  Fancy, ain't it!